What is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine is a systems approach to healthcare with emphasis on root cause medicine rather than symptomatology. Functional medicine better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st Century.
- Evidence-based medicine meaning there are studies and research articles that demonstrate the benefits of the health strategies recommended.
- Functional lab testing to determine your health baseline.
- A detailed personal health history.
- Practitioner trained to listen deeply to clients. Clients frequently tell us that this is the first time they have looked back on their lives and connected the dots of events that have led to their health picture of today.
- Lifestyle interventions.
- Relaxation techniques.
- Stress reduction strategies.
- Dietary Interventions.
Functional Medicine solutions
At Kelway Functional Medicine, we focus 100% on Functional Medicine. We work with our clients in a very personal way.
Our health solutions involve lifestyle changes, dietary interventions, relaxation and stress reduction techniques. We teach you how to balance your life.
We share long-term health correction strategies that are designed for you as an individual. We listen to our clients and give them a space to share their life concerns. If necessary, we will also provide other therapists referrals to our clients.
And clients often benefit just from being heard instead of being dismissed as so often happens in the frenetic world of medicine. Traditional medical systems are just not designed to help people with their chronic issues. Medicine is great for emergency health situations.
More and more people are dealing with chronic health challenges making the desire for functional medicine services in high demand. This has driven more and more Functional Medicine practitioners popping up everywhere which can be both beneficial and challenging for clients. We often see clients who have already spent considerable funds on help and haven’t got anywhere. They have even run labs but they weren’t analyzed properly due to lack of training.
How do you determine whether you should engage a certain practitioner?
Talking to the Functional Medicine practice before engaging them
We recommend that you talk with the Functional Medicine practice before you decide to engage them.
Most Functional Medicine practices will offer a FREE Health call where you can ask your questions and determine whether they are a good fit for you.
And then you should still be able to book an initial appointment with no obligation to work with the practice long-term.
It can take a full appointment to determine whether they are a great fit for you. You should expect to pay for this consultation. If someone is willing to offer you more than 20 minutes complimentary consulting – there is an issue and this should be a red flag for you.
Your initial appointment will usually be 45 minutes to an hour.
Appointments with Kelway Functional Medicine
- We are a virtual clinic so all of your appointments will be via zoom, our HIPAA compliant video system.
- This means that you can talk to us from wherever is convenient for you – work, home or even in the car.
- And we can work with you in whatever Time Zone you are in without incurring travel expenses in addition to your healthcare expenses.
Other clinics may be in person which can be great if they are local to you or they may require that you meet in-person for your first consultation and then follow up consultations can be via video or phone.
Functional Medicine is personalized medicine and you are seeking someone who is more than just a health expert. You are looking for that person who you feel you can partner with on your health journey. I highly recommend that you find someone you relate with and has specific experience in areas that you need help with.
Each clinic may specialize in certain areas of health and you can determine whether this covers your particular needs. While functional medicine by nature, is holistic medicine, we all have a greater depth of knowledge in certain areas. This is what I mean by specialization.
Most Functional Medicine practitioners have special gifts – such as fertility or preconception care, gut infections,thyroid autoimmunity, menopause, metabolism etc.
What Kelway Functional Medicine specializes in
- Our experience covers hormones, gut and metabolism for women particularly during peri menopausal and menopausal stages of life.
- This may cover sleep, hormone havoc, digestive distress and metabolic mayhem.
- We work mainly with women over 40 years of age. If you are curious to learn if we are a good fit for you, schedule your FREE Introductory call to ask your questions.
Next steps: explore other resources that could be helpful:
- Book Your Initial Appointment if you are ready to move forward
- And download your FREE Report on What Every Client should know before Booking with a Functional Medicine practitioner